Tuesday, August 31, 2004

there and [all the way] back again

so here we are. it's the end of the month.

end of the athens olympiad.

end of the nation's preparations for this year's independence day.

end of the due-d exercise (er, well, almost).

two weeks till my official last working day.

near the end of the luxury of having your own stash to spend on almost anything you desire, and having it replenished every month.

near the end of strutting around in suits.

in many ways I still can't believe I'd (finally) made the decision to become a student again. for a year.

have I lost my mind? my bosses probably think so. "a year in practice is more valuable than a year of study. think about it."

a colleague initially dismissed it as a joke - apparently I was a fixture in the company; the last person to come up with such deviant ideas. "yeah right. since when did YOU leave."

so just what madness came over me? was it because I felt I needed a change? an attempt at a brief escape from the hectic working world? adding a milestone to the elusive search for enlightenment? an effort to understand the machinery at work behind the corporate wheels and ultimately a means to comprehend the incomprehensible? a struggle in the name of personal enrichment and in the spirit of man's never-ending quest for knowledge? a blind stab in the dark in the fervent hope that Opportunity will present itself, or that Muse will lend some ideas, at the very least? or, to put it in a few over-used words, because I wanted a break? none of the above? some of the above? all of the above?

*slap*
you silly spoilt brat of a dingbat you, stop being all picky and idealistic and just be a good girl and continue doing what you're doing.

*slap*
no! that's not right! you wanted Opportunity to present itself, here's Opportunity presenting itself. of course you should take the chance, you idiot. sure, you wouldn't know what's in store, but there's absolutely nothing to lose.

*slap!* * slap!*

yep, end of months of indecision.

end of the 'financial year'.

the end of four years since the last time I sat in a lecture hall armed with highlighters and reams of notepaper; and the beginning of it all again.


end of one path, and the beginning of another.

independence day.

No comments: